Due to the 2020 COVID-19 pandemic, the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine (UPSOM) has adopted the following policies:
Spring & Summer 2020:
- We are accepting Pass/Fail (Pass/No Credit, Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory) for pre-requisite courses completed during the Spring and Summer terms of 2020.
- Students participating in our special programs (Guaranteed Admit Program-GAP and Summer Premedical Academic Enrichment Program Early Assurance-SPAEPEA) must obtain letter grades for all required pre-requisite course work.
- We are accepting on-line course work for pre-requisites and labs during the Spring and Summer 2020 semesters and require that the course work be completed at the student’s undergraduate or graduate college or university or at an accredited academic institution.
- When deciding whether or not to use pass /fail or a graded system, you should select the option that is optimal for your application.
- UPSOM is aware that many colleges and universities across the United States will not be reopening to on campus instruction for Fall 2020. If your college or university adopts this stance, UPSOM will also accept online coursework for the Fall 2020 semester.
- However, prospective applicants, are instructed to comment on the UPSOM Supplemental application that their school will continue with remote only (online) instruction for the Fall 2020 semester AND must provide documentation (or the official school announcement) of the school’s decision.
All of those who matriculate at University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine must have an undergraduate degree which includes at least one year of post secondary education in the United States or Canada.
A strong background in mathematics is recommended. The School of Medicine prefers candidates who have a variety of course work typical of a liberal arts education, but this is not mandatory. Course work in the humanities and social sciences is desirable. Many applicants have majors outside the sciences; the School of Medicine looks favorably on such applicants as long as the science requirements are met.
Acceptance of courses taken at foreign universities is determined individually at the discretion of the Dean of Admissions and Financial Aid. You should have completed most premedical requirements to receive serious consideration. All requirements must be met before matriculation.
We will accept AP credit if that credit was awarded by your college/university and the course credit granted appears on your transcript. College Board’s College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) credits are not accepted.
In examining your candidacy, the following pre-requisites for the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine will be required:
- Biology – one full year, exclusive of Botany, Ecology, and Anatomy with one full year lab or a single two credit lab;
- General/Inorganic Chemistry – one full year with one full year lab or a single two credit lab;
- Organic Chemistry – one full year with one full year lab or a single two credit lab;
- Physics – one full year with one full year lab or a single two credit lab;
- English/Intensive writing course – one full year (We will accept courses taken outside of the English department that are deemed writing intensive by your college/university and Philosophy courses to fulfill this requirement.)
- Biochemistry – one half year; and
- Statistics course – one half year, preferably Biostatistics.
- In addition to the requirements listed above, the UPSOM Curriculum Committee recommends one half year of Psychology.